Friday, January 30, 2009

On My Radar: Neyla


Last night after the Studio Santalla event in Georgetown we went to dinner at Neyla, one of the most highly recommended Mediterranean restaurants in DC. Needless to say, Asma, Garcia and I had an amazing meal. We had the Grilled Lamb Balilla (Grilled Lamb Chop served with Chickpeas and a Garlic Confit and Demi Glace), Gambas a Pil Pil (Sizzling Shrimp with Garlic Chips, Tomato, Chilies and White Wine) and Chicken Shawarma (Slow roasted Chicken with Garlic Whip, Sumac Onions, Pickled Cucumber in a mini Pita). After a wine flight we finished off with the Knafe Bil Jibneh (Oven baked shredded Katafi dough, layered with Lebanese Sweet Cheese. Topped with Orange Blossom Simple Syrup and Pistachio Dust.)

I just want to put it out there that the Jibneh was one of the best deserts I've ever had. Everytime I'm at a Mediterranean restaurant I have a similar desert (though every restaurant puts its own spin on it), yet Neyla's melted in my mouth and each of us on our first bite proclaimed a "wow" afterwards.


The decor of the restaurant is so traditional and you walk in thinking you actually may be in another country. My first thoughts, this would make a great place for a romantic date. And technically is was the weekly, bi-monthly, semi annual (as time progresses) standing date with Garcia. Nonetheless, we laughed all night, had some great conversation, often borderline inappropriate and I have found a new favorite spot in DC (though yes I know, has been there forever.) So compliments to the chef and the entire Neyla team for a wonderful dining experience last night for my friends and I.

Neyla
3206 N St NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 333-6353

No comments: