Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My preview of H Street Country Club Last Night
























































































































Last night I had a sneak peak at the newly opened (as in today) H Street Country Club in the Atlas District.


Needless to say, I was impressed and with a strong desire to have a little putt putt in my life, I’ll be venturing back over to H Street quite soon.

With more than 6,800 square feet, the 300 seat dining destination has a menu any pro-golfer (I mean putt putter) would enjoy.

I dined on their Spicy Tamales, Nacogdoches MeatPies, Quesadilla and the most amazing nachos! I could have had an entire plate by myself, but I’m trying to stay in tip-top sporting form. In addition, their Sangria was on the verge of becoming my newest favorite drink in DC (move over Hudson’s and Lauriol). Their drink menu includes Spanish and Latin wines, Mexican beers, Margarita’s and 20 different tequilas.

Upstairs you're wisked into wonderland with a DC inspired 9 hole mini-golf course including an Awakening statue of “the” Marion Barry. I had the opportunity to chat with artist Lee Wheeler who is the man behind all of the outrageous and creative designs at H Street. He lead the erection of H Street's miniature monuments, as well as the mural designs which cover every inch of the place.

But perhaps my favorite treat at H Street was the Iwo Gima mural on the back wall that includes thousands of plastic toy soldiers or the more than 7,000 golf balls it took to create the back “splash” at the upstairs bar.

H Street Country Club is a hit in my book. Did some say FOURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR?

No comments: