Did you know that? I sure didn't. Mayra Ruiz-McPherson of marketing misfit blog brought this to my attention.
To help address this situation, UNICEF has launched an initiative called the Tap Project. Every year, the Tap Project hosts World Water Week. During World Water Week, which is March 22-28, 2009, restaurants here in DC and across the United States will encourage patrons to donate $1 or more for the tap water they usually enjoy for free. Every dollar raised provides a child with clean drinking water for 40 days.
75 restaurants in the DC metro area have signed on to support the DC Tap Project! Great restaurants all around the city have joined Tap DC including BLT Steak, Brasserie Beck, Citronelle, Jaleo, Leopold's, Oyamel, Proof, Restaurant Eve, and Zaytinya! For a complete list of participating restaurants, visit our Participate page and click on the "Dine Out" link.
Learn more about this wonderful campaign here:
How you can get involved
- Become a Tap Project participating restaurant, we’ll provide support materials to help you engage customers and inform local media about your involvement in this important project.
- Register to be a Tap Project Campaign Volunteer and help us recruit and support local restaurants and employers.
- Purchase recyclable Tap DC cups for your employees to encourage participation in the Tap Project.
- Create a piece of art to help promote World Water Week.
- Dine out at a participating restaurant March 22-28.
- Donate at tapdc.org or text the word “TAP” to 864233 (UNICEF) to make a $5 donation (A one-time charge of $5 will be added to your mobile phone bill. Standard messaging rates and additional fees may apply. All charges are billed by and payable to your mobile service provider. Proceeds benefit the U.S. Fund for UNICEF. Service is available on most carriers. You can unsubscribe at any time by texting ‘STOP’ to 864233.